Friday, November 28, 2008

[oh high school art classes, how I miss your simplicity]

Yesterday was Thanksgiving! Hopefully everyone had a good one, spending time with family and friends and all of that good stuff. Since my family is small (I only have two first-cousins on my mother's side, and my father's side has mostly moved to North Carolina), we see each other quite often. My younger cousin, Erika, is thirteen, and it is SO funny to watch her grow up.

At the dinner table yesterday I noticed she wasn't really eating much, and she would glance over at the turkey and cringe a bit. I asked her why she wasn't eating anything but mashed potatoes (she's picky), and she replied, "You guys are eating a poor, dead turkey!" I just set my fork down and laughed so hard, because God, that's exactly how I was when I was her age. The rest of my family just looked at me and shook their heads because I was WAYY more outspoken than that, and my brother even leaned over and whispered, "Nice job influencing her, dumbass." I used to be a really strict vegetarian from about age 14-16, but then I got sick because the only thing I ate was basically peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Delicious, but stupid.

I'm not sure if I think it's "cute" that she's going through the same thing I was, but I'm not so sure she really knows what she's talking about (totally understandable, though, she's still young). We were talking, and she just thinks it's sad that the turkey was killed so we could eat it. I just think this came about because she wasn't used to seeing the entire animal laid out on the table, but rather sees the end-product when her mother puts out supper at home. That being said, I don't think she'll go any further than just saying she thinks the killing of turkeys/animls is sad. Yeah, it is sad, but have you ever eaten an animal that wasn't killed first? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha...me and my Mom say the same thing. My Dad always has to have meat, but my mom and I both don't like it too much. I know that it's normal to eat meat, and they are just animals. I just would rather not eat a "dead animal". I sort of wish animals didn't have to get killed so that people could eat them. But I wouldn't judge anyone who eats meat. Because of course, I do too sometimes. I think I had this conversation with you once, or maybe with someone else. I can't remember.