Saturday, November 29, 2008


The above photo is something I came up with (and executed) in my senior year of high school. My favorite art teacher told me she had some kitchen chairs she was bored of, and asked me to do something with one of them. For some reason, the idea on the left side of the picture automatically popped into my mind, and I asked, "Do you have to be able to use the chair when I'm done?" She (almost grudgingly) said no. 

The sketch I drew on a mental health day I took off of school after my teacher had given me the okay to do the chair, and I think it's really cool to see how it went from a drawing from a life-sized sculpture of an octopus. Of course, the photograph isn't the completed piece (and many changes were made since the photo was taken). Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures on my mac of it, but I'm sure my parents have pictures. I won Vernon Art Show's Best-In-Show with it, and I got a $12,000 scholarship to MICA (an art school in Maryland). I obviously didn't go to MICA, but only because they didn't have Art Therapy as an option. 

I really, really, REALLY love making big things, things that don't make sense, things that don't matter when they're finished, things that no one really needs but likes to look at, things that are more personally appreciated than publicly appreciated. I almost miss working on this thing, but at the same time, I don't. It was a huge pain in the ass, but honestly, I loved doing it, and I loved seeing the looks on peoples' faces when they wondered why the hell anyone would waste their time sculpting an octopus onto a wooden kitchen chair. But to me, it wasn't a waste of time.

My life is one big octopus on a kitchen chair. 

3 comments:

KatieMarie said...

Ashley, your blog honestly makes my day. Everything is so abstract and down to earth. I value most of the things you do and to me the octopus is original and unique. And to be honest that is something that you should honor. Your uniqueness and individuality will take you far as an art major !!!

KMAC said...

Your nuts and awesome at the same time! I know about your love for octopi (i typed that just to make you mad) and the fact that you incorporated that love into your love of art is great. You have such a unique mind and way of perceiving the world that just shines throuhg your writing and personality. I love just hearing what you have to say!!

Anonymous said...

This is so cool!! I wanted to see what it looked like, and now I am glad that you posted a picture.

I'm so glad you're at Caldwell Ashley. :-)