Sunday, November 23, 2008


Quickly I should mention that I did not take this particular photo; my good friend Adam took it this past July when he lived in Alaska for a month to celebrate his 25th birthday. Meeting Adam was complete chance, but I am very happy to have met him - I think it's super important for people to have at least one friend who always encourages you to do what you really dream of doing even if they are in a position where they currently cannot.

Ever since I was very young, my parents and I have traveled to England because I have family there. My mother was actually born there, and is still a citizen of the United Kingdom. Despite the 6-7 hour plane flight, I always loved going to England because, of course, I love my family, but also because it was something different from home (New Jersey). I really do believe that traveling at a young age has incubated this massive travel-lust that I have slowly begun to discover over the past couple of years. My English family has been to nearly every continent (other than Antarctica) over nine times each, and has been to more countries than I can name off the top of my head. If you can think of it, they've been there. Presently, my aunt and uncle are on a five-week vacation to New Zealand, and I am so overwhelmingly jealous.

My obsession with experiencing everything I possibly can finally forced me to actually start making things happen. I put $400 a month into my savings account because, after I get my PhD for Art Therapy, I am dead-set on leaving this life for a little while. My family and whatever friends I have during that time will have to understand and accept it, because honestly, I am doing it for my own sanity. Staying in one place for too long really has to have a negative impact on your development, no matter how old you are. I refuse to make a planned-out itinerary because that is a recipe for disaster; wherever I wind up is where I will be until I feel like I can move on. 

I do, however, want to hit these places on my trek (in no particular order): Colorado, Alaska, Ireland (again), France (again), Italy (again), Iceland, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, India, Greece, Japan, New Zealand, and whatever else may strike my fancy. It's a massive undertaking, I know, but if I didn't have something to work towards my life would be absolutely miserable.

Maybe I am being to idealistic and/or intense, but I have promised myself that, before I die, I WILL go to all of these places. The world is way too beautiful to be stuck in one place for 80 years.

2 comments:

KMAC said...

Your drive and persistence is amazing! I truly admire you for taking action and getting yourself on the road to attaining the goal you have set for yourself. So many people say I want to do this or I want to do that but they never actually work to get it. Although I've only known you for about 4 months, I know already that you are one of the most strong-willed people I will ever know. Do not think for a second that you are being too idealistic. Although this is going to sound cliche, you can do whatever you set your mind to. I would not say that to everyone beause it does not apply to everyone but it does to you. I look forward to hearing about your world traveling in the future.

mandeep said...

Cheers to your plans!!
and 'All the best' for whatever you have dreamt of.

I guess, you are right.
Being stuck in one place throughout your life won't let you know what things are still there to be discovered; you truly would be missing a great deal of things if you aren't roaming around.

Before coming to U.S, i had never realized the fun of travelling abroad. Travelling here to U.S for my study at Caldwell College is my first experience as such. Though i was enthusiastic about visiting different foreign lands, i never thought that going to places beside the ones you are familiar with is such a thrilling experience. After arriving here at NJ, I have been to different places of NJ and most importantly, i have been fortunate enough to experience NYC. I just can't express how exciting it is to visit NYC everytime. The places here are completely different to the places of my country, Nepal and now that i am experiencing U.S, i have got the conception that visiting different places is truly a very fascinating job.

Now, i think of travelling to different nations in the days to come, but primarily i would love to visit England to watch at least one league game of Manchester United.